Remember my post about joy? Well, I originally wrote it with a thought in mind that I would find something everyday that brings me joy, and blog about it. As we all know, I am not very good at posting regularly, and daily seems almost impossible, but I have thought about it so many times since then, I am going to give it a shot.
So...hmmm... I guess I should have thought more about this today. The first thing that pops into my head that brings me joy is having kids, they are so amazing, loving, quick to forgive, happy and delightful, and yet, they can drive me SOOO CRAZY! I must admit, the moment I know they are all asleep (hopefully for the night), is a moment of sweet joy.
Sometimes putting the kids to bed feels nothing short of ...uh, what I imagine hell to be like... dragging on forever in frustration and chaos, wanting to go to bed myself, but unable to. Just when I think I've got everything under control and we are smooth sailing to slumber, they go into hyper-drive and I've missed that perfect moment, you know, the moment when they are just tired enough to fall asleep easily but not overly tired. Hyper-drive is like someone gave them an injection of caffeine and spun them around until they don't know which way is up and let go. They run around squealing, climbing walls, beds, counters, me, and anything else climbable, giggling all the while like a pack of hyenas. This behavior is usually only stopped by some sudden unpleasantness (such as plowing into each other, or falling onto a hard object, or mom putting her foot down) and ends in crying and/or tantrums. After the tears have subsided, and all children are in their beds, there is usually a chorus of "Mom, can I have...? Mom, will you tell us a story? Mom, will you sing us a song? Will you sing another song? Mom! Mom! Mom! MOM!" At this point... I feel insane, and I let them sing their choruses along with the radio while I do dishes.
Thankfully tonight wasn't that bad, we hit that perfect moment almost on the nose, and while there were a few requests, they were not in abundance nor were they irritating in any way. What a relief! These are the most joyous of bedtimes, and I have to say, when they are asleep, they are SOOO CUTE! Who doesn't think a kid in quiet slumber is cute? It is so fun to watch their peaceful faces and my heart just warms inside to almost bursting. Just seeing them in this state makes me ready for another day of motherhood, and gives me the determination to be a better mom tomorrow than I was today.
And another thing to be grateful for... they didn't even move a muscle when I took these pictures with the flash on. :)
Black Bean Cookies
1 week ago


